Saturday, April 16, 2011

Stuffed French Toast

Oddly enough......this is a recipe I got from one of my professors.

So, this last Wednesday was our last day of class, and consequently, our lass day of Dr. Janzen's class. She tends to like to bring us food. Several times this semester, she brought us Einstein Bagels  and for all our practicum seminars, she always brought juice, fruit, granola bars, and such snacks. Yesterday, I guess in honor of the last day of class and since we were doing a review and it was a relaxed sort of class (and a 3 hours class...so we had plenty of time. Have I ever mentioned that for the past 2 semesters, the majority of my classes have been 3 hours...and the ones that aren't are 2? Yeah....it has stunk. Luckily, it's over) , she decided to make us breakfast.

She went all out.
You should have seen it, it was AWESOME!!!
First, she had one warming dish filled with a baked omelet  (SO GOOD...tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms, sausage...the works) and then another warming dish full of stuffed french toast. Then...there was this BEAUTIFUL fruit platter: kiwis, pineapple, strawberries, blood oranges, etc. And of course, to top it all off, orange and cranberry juice. Yes. We're spoiled. It's true.

Anyway, the food was so SO delicious, I just HAD to email her and get the recipes. And that's the story.

Here's the French Toast
 trust ye me...it's a wonder


And here's the recipe (easy right? gotta love it)

Stuffed French Toast


10 slices French bread – trimmed and cubed
Mixture
8 oz. cream cheese – cubed
2 cups milk
1 dozen eggs
½ cup maple syrup
Suggested Toppings

Syrup
Powdered Sugar

Mix everything but the bread. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Arrange bread cubes in the bottom of dish. Pour egg mixture over the bread and mix everything together.
 Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. ( I baked it at 350....but the recipe didn't say what to bake it at)
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup or jam. 

Note---Can bake the night before and warm in the morning 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lani said...

what temperature do you bake this at? Everything here looks so good. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and am getting food to make this french toast and the egg rolls. yum!

Ben and Carly said...

Ha,I just realized I never answered this. Umm...the recipe didn't actually say what to bake it at so I guessed. I did 350, and watched it, and it worked out great! Sorry for the delayed response!