Friday, April 29, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

This is my mom's recipe for chicken enchiladas. Growing up, if my mom would ever ask us what we wanted for dinner, our immediate response was, "chicken enchiladas!"

They're YUMMMMMMY. 

Ingredients: 

Tortilla layers:
Tortillas (probably 12-15)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
1 good dollop of sour cream
taco seasoning (you add it to the sauce to taste...I think I usually use about 2-3 Tbsp)

In between layers: 
olives
2 chicken breasts
shredded cheese
Optional: 
1 can of black beans 
chopped onion

(it's easiest if you get your ingredients all ready before hand because your hands get gooey and if the stuff isn't all ready, you'll have to wash them a ton. I )

Alright, here's what you do. 
First, boil the chicken until it's cooked so you can shred it. 
Then, preheat the oven to 325
Next combine 2 cans of cream of chicken (don't make it like it says to on the can...just dump it i) , milk, taco seasoning and dallop of whip cream in a 2 quart sauce pan. Turn heat on medium and whisk together until the sauce is smooth. Don't get the sauce too hot though, it will burn you when you're dipping the tortillas in it. 


Grab a 9X13 glass pan, and get your tortillas out of the bag. Grab 2-3 tortillas and rip them into quarters. Dip the tortilla pieces into the sauce until they are covered on both sides. Make a layer of these tortillas on the bottom of the pan like this:

 once you have a layer of tortillas, make your layer of stuff. Basically, sprinkle on shredded chicken, shredded cheese, olives and if you want, beans and onions. My mom always put onions on half of it, because the kids didn't like them. I never put onions on, but I do put black beans on, which my mom never did but I decided to try it one day and decided I liked it.  I didn't put olives this time because we were out and I didn't want to run to the store.....but they make the dish SO much better so make sure to put them on!

Put another layer of tortillas on top of the stuff, and repeat the process. You'll end up with 4 tortilla layers and 3 stuff layers. Make sure you sprinkle the tortilla  layer on top with cheese, and then put it in to bake for 25-30 minutes. This is what it looks like before the oven.

Then TA-DA!!!!

I usually make a pot of rice to go with it, and I just mix some taco seasoning in the rice to give it a bit of flavor. I also really like to put tomatillo sauce on top (of the rice and enchiladas), or salsa.  

No comments: