Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hearty Nachos

Okay, so sometimes I like making really nice Sunday dinners, and sometimes I just don't want to bother. For the days I don't want to bother, I found an AWESOME solution. We had these today and they were CHEAP and EASY, plus they were a hit with my husband. In fact, he loved them so much I should have him write a testimonial on here :)

Here's what they look like before the toppings:


And here's after:



Here's what you need:

1 chicken breast
Half a bag of frozen corn
1 can tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 packet taco seasoning
1 bag of tortilla chips
cilantro
cheese

Here's what you do:

Get a chicken breast and slice it into small squares. Cook the chicken in a skillet with a little bit of oil (it only takes a few minutes) .While the chicken is cooking, boil the corn so it's not frozen.  When the chicken is cooked, add in corn, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and beans (make sure to strain and wash the beans). Oh, and of course, throw in some cilantro, because cilantro is YUMMY!!!!!
 Simmer until it's heated up, then put over tortilla chips and top with cheese and cilantro.
TA DA!

Healthy (well, minus the chips :)) , yummy, easy, quick, simple, and economical.

Cost Breakdown:
1 chicken breast= 1.00
Half a bag of frozen corn=lets see, I got frozen corn at Maceys last week for .75, so half is like .37
1 can tomato sauce= .25
1 can black beans = .55 (yay for macey's case lot sale!) 
1 packet taco seasoning  ( I have this HUGE container of taco seasoning that I got at costco a long time ago so I just used the equivalent of a package---but really it didn't cost me anything.  The huge container only cost a few dollars, and I've been using it for years. 
1 bag of tortilla chips= Don Julio tortilla chips at smiths....always $1.00
The cilantro was on sale for .33 a bunch, so there's another .11
Cheese on top? I don't know....let's guess the cheese cost us .30? maybe?

So for $2.58 cents, you can make three huge plates. It only takes one huge plate to fill me up. for my husband it took about 1 1/2....so basically it was just the right size for dinner for two.
NOT BAD.


No comments: